I started something new with my general music students this week. We are fortunate enough to have tablets for the students so the music staff wanted to incorporate a unit using soundtrap. With this platform, students can create electronic music while learning about all of the elements of music. (If you don’t already know about soundtrap, check it out at soundtrap.com. It’s like Garageband, Google Docs and Soundcloud all in one program - super fun!)
Anyway, last week the three general music teachers got together and reviewed the curriculum outline, specifically the plan for the first lesson. I teach first period every day so my class is usually the guinea pig for anything new. I woke up that Monday morning, nervous like a first year teacher! Anytime I teach a new lesson, I have butterflies in my stomach...I don’t quite know what to expect, can’t anticipate challenges, and just have to hope that everything will go as planned.
Well...that Monday, it didn’t. That morning right before class started I couldn’t find 2 of the ipads, which were on the shelf the Friday before. I asked the students to sign into google classroom which I had set up the week before but because the internet was glitchy that morning, it became a problem. The students who actually could sign in had problems accessing the files from google classroom, and then when I finally figured out why, the videos would not load! AHH!
Finally after about 20 minutes, I decided to abort the mission. At that moment, I had a choice...forge ahead and stay on this train wreck, or abandon ship. And this is the takeaway: